Tuesday 7 October 2008

Travel and sustainability Project

Got a new project at university about sustainability in terms of travel and transport. I am unsure of the direction I am going at the moment but from some initial research I find it amazing how different cultures travel, and how that people in the UK are far more sceptical and unwilling. People drive to the local shops to get a pint of milk, and drive to the gym to go for a run? Its baffling- but these are areas that need to be addressed- however I could find that these are cultural patterns, and an overall shift in attitude and lifestyle maybe needed.

I find it amazing how in Africa, Asia, and the Far East people who don't have the luxury of individual cars travel. They undertake there days activities using the most basic and organic (natural) transport methods.

A big problem is energy- and i think there needs to be a movement into where a person needs to create energy in order to get some back- turning perhaps kinetic energy into stored energy that can then be used as power.

I also find it amazing the example that Holland are setting. I understand it is a flat nation but they have a similar culture and similar lifestyle and similar weather patterns to the UK yet the use of bicycles in Holland is far greater than in the UK. They are a great example of sustainable nation in this respect. I am finding the way people travel in different cultures inspiring.

No comments: