Friday 3 October 2008

Product meet up & design museum:

Last night met up with some of my course mates and a few new guys that our joining this year. Was fun and had a catch up- we got talking about the workshops at our uni being removed to a much smaller capacity. I have been thinking about it alot, and was considering going elsewhere this year. They have apparently removed all the bigger machines, large saws, lathes etc which completely limits the products we can design and make. To be honest it has really pissed me off because I think it is extremely important to get an understanding or materials, and working with different materials and manufacturing techniques. I understand they are looking to new technologies and rapid prototyping methods- but I think that making models in a range of materials not only benefits each project but also increases my understanding of how to make things and material properties. Guess I will just have to see what happens and then make a decision- who knows it could be a positive move?

Then today I headed down to the design museum to check out the "Design Cities that changed the world", exhibition. I have to say I really enjoyed it- It was a exciting incite into the way design has developed, and how these different cities could be attributed to the design industry as it is today. I particularly liked Paris, Los Angeles, and London 2008. I found it extremely exciting that London is being considered at the present time is a hub for creativity throughout the world. They had loads of Eames furniture there and also had the Samsung Phone by Jasper Morrison- never seen it first hand and even though its old now I want one. So beautifully simplistic and sleek.

I also found it interesting that the Eames Furniture, Le Corbusier chairs (swivel armchair), Marcel Bruer Wassily chair, didn't seem to have dated whatsoever- these pieces still are completely relevant and would fit seamlessly into a contemporary space- much like I feel Jasper Morrison's furniture and Industrial facilities products for example will do in the future. Its this under styling and simplicity matched with beautiful craftsmanship and thought process that make the products timeless.

Also bought my mum the Azumi Snowman salt and pepper pots- as one of her Birthday presents-

I will force good design on my family if it kills me!

No comments: